Women’s basketball sweeps through weekend, improve to 11-1 at home

USF forward Jessica Dickson stepped up when her team really needed it the most. Coming off a two-game losing streak, the women’s basketball team took care of St. Louis 67-49 on Friday and beat Memphis 72-58 on Sunday to improve to 14-6 and 4-2 in Conference USA play. The Bulls improved to an 11-1 record at home, the second best in the program’s history in a season.

Dickson, a sophomore, led the Bulls in scoring in both games. She put up 18 against St. Louis (2-17, 1-5 C-USA) and 27 verses Memphis (10-9, 3-3 C-USA).

“That’s why she is one of he better players in Conference USA,” coach Jose Fernandez said.

Dickson added, “Once you’re in a zone and you’re hot, you kind of want the ball. I wanted to be more aggressive going to the hole and getting into the flow by being the rhythm shooter that I am.”Against St. Louis, the Bulls had three players record double-doubles, Dickson, Ezria Parsons and Racheal Sheats. Despite shooting only 31 percent from the field, the Bulls were in control for most of the game thanks in large part to grabbing 30 offensive rebounds.

Sunday’s game was more of the same. USF jumped out to an 8-2 lead and were never really threatened by the Tigers.

Senior Anedra Gilmore had a big game after receiving seven stitches under her eye after getting hit in the face in the game against the Billikens on Friday. Gilmore finished with 12 points, nine assists and four steals.

“Gilmore is very tough and leads by example. She had a great game,” said Fernandez, whose team is only two wins away from tying the school record with 16. “I am happy where we’re at right now.”

USF is still without starting center Nalini Miller, who should be out for a couple more weeks, but is scheduled to return for the conference tournament. The Bulls head back on the road this weekend, playing at Marquette (12-6, 3-2 C-USA) on Friday and then traveling to DePaul (15-3, 4-1 C-USA) on Sunday.