Men go for five wins in a row

After starting the season 4-0, the USF men’s basketball team rides into Richmond today undefeated and hungry for a win in its first road test of the season.

In their four wins, the Bulls have been dominant, winning the past three by an average margin of 23 points, and precise, breaking a USF shooting-percentage record versus Stetson on Friday.

But if they’ve been anything, they’ve been balanced.

The Bulls have enjoyed a different high scorer in each of their victories and have three players averaging in double figures.

In the season-opening victory versus Stephen F. Austin, senior forward Terrence Leather led the Bulls with 20 points. Leather is leading the team in scoring and rebounds with 17.3 and 8.8 per game, respectively.

In the second game against Prairie View A&M, first-year player Solomon Jones led the squad with 18 points and is averaging nearly 10 points a game.

Then, versus Stetson, senior guard James Holmes went absolutely nuts, hitting 9 of 11 shots — 3 of 8 from behind the three-point arc — on his way to a career-high 24 points.

Finally, versus Bethune-Cookman on Monday, it was guard Brain Swift’s turn. The senior hit 9 of 14 shots on his way to 21 points.

Swift is averaging 15.8 points a game this season, up nearly six from last year.

“It’s a real convenience to have that many guys who can put up 17 or 20 points any given night,” USF coach Robert McCullum said. “It’s a big plus to have that many guys be able to step it up.”

The Bulls know it’s still early, and they know the toughest section of their schedule is waiting for them. So far, the Bulls have played smaller schools from much smaller conferences while teams such as Michigan and South Carolina await them in December.

“One of the things we wanted to do is build our guys’ confidence up and that’s what we did,” McCullum said. “Now we have to get ready for a hard stretch and a good team in Richmond.”