Volleyball season ends with loss

The USF volleyball team failed to reach double-digit wins this season, dropping its final match in lopsided fashion at Miami on Wednesday.

Coach Claire Lessinger ends her first campaign as head coach with a 9-20 record, posting two more wins than last year’s squad that had five seniors.

After an early exit in the Conference USA tournament Nov. 19, USF headed to Coral Gables to take on ACC runner-up Miami. Miami manhandled the Bulls, winning 3-0 (19-30, 17-30, 20-30).

The Hurricanes held the Bulls to a .000 hitting percentage, their lowest of the season. Miami out killed the Bulls 49-27.

“(Miami) was on a mission, they were energetic. They were on the bubble, they had everything to play for,” Lessinger said.

USF seemed to come out flat in every phase of the game, finding its back against the wall in all three games versus the ‘Canes.

“It was tough to get into a mindset for the Miami game after the conference tournament,” Lessinger said. “Unfortunately, they didn’t have anything to play for and it was hard to be motivated.”

Sophomore Johari Williams and junior Juliana Nogueira had consistent games for USF. Williams tallied a team- high eight kills while Nogueira posted the only USF double-double of the match with 21 assists and 12 digs.

With the loss, the Bulls extended their road-losing streak to 16 games. The Bulls had a better home record this season (7-4).

USF will now head into recruiting season, where it hopes to add more depth to a roster that will return all its players for the Big East in 2005.