Thanksgiving no longer about giving thanks, stresses consumerism

Thanksgiving has become more than just a time for being thankful. At some point in recent American history, it became a time to eat yourself silly only to subsequently shop till you drop.

What used to be a humble day on which the family got together has turned into a marketing bonanza.

Movie and other product releases are carefully timed to coincide with Thanksgiving weekend. The busiest shopping day of the entire year is the day after Thanksgiving. It means so much to the U.S. economy that it has been nicknamed Black Friday, as it gives several retailers the first chance to break even of the year.

A campaign spearheaded by Adbuster magazine to re-brand the day “Buy Nothing Day” has been underway for years now, but it is doubtful it even makes a dent in sales figures.

On the whole, the rampant consumerism is reaching dramatic proportions. Comprising about 5 percent of the world population, the United States is consuming about 25 percent of the world’s resources. This applies to resources across the board, ranging from cheap Wal-Mart-made products coming from China to oil imported from the Middle East.

This spiral of consumption as though there is no tomorrow will have to be stopped. Otherwise the United States may very well face a time when there really is no tomorrow for a sustainable society.