Volleyball team drops two road games

If the USF volleyball team played every game at home this season, things would look much brighter.

After sweeping last weekend’s conference matches at home, USF traveled over the weekend to finish out its Conference USA schedule and lost to Southern Miss and Tulane. With the losses, USF tumbled to 10th place in C-USA.

“We played without motivation this weekend,” USF head coach Claire Lessinger said. “They expected to come out and play like they played against Memphis without any hard work. It just doesn’t work that way.”

Despite leading in virtually all statistical categories, USF couldn’t find any answer for Southern Miss, losing the match 3-0. The win was the first in C-USA for the Golden Eagles. Four Bulls reached double digits in kills. Junior Flavia Silveira, who had the only double-double on the night with 11 kills and 14 digs, led the Bulls.

The hangover continued for USF heading into Saturday’s match against Tulane. The Green Wave took the match 3-0 behind a stout offense that saw four Tulane players notch double-digit kills. Silveira again led the Bulls with 14 kills and16 digs.

The last time USF came out victorious in a road match was Sept. 10 against Southeast Missouri State. The Bulls (8-18, 5-8 C-USA) have won six of their eight home matches this season.

USF has one home match remaining against Jacksonville on Tuesday before heading to the C-USA Tournament on Friday. The Bulls hope to use the match against Jacksonville to hash out any problems before the tournament begins.

“The game Tuesday will give us a chance to implement some of the things we want to do in conference,” Lessinger said.

USF has never missed a conference tournament in the tournament’s ten-year history, but this is the lowest the Bulls have been seeded. They face St. Louis in the first round.

“We didn’t care who we drew in the first round,” Lessinger said. “If we don’t do the things we have to do on our end, it doesn’t matter who we play. We have to play our game.”