Letters to the Editor

Half of Americans did chose morals, not Bush
Re: “Ignorant voters present on both sides,” Nov. 8

When you say, “On Tuesday, Americans chose ‘moral values’ over the value of personal economic gain,” you assume that morality means the same thing to all people. While it is true that a majority of voters who were concerned about the economy voted for Kerry, many others voted for Kerry because of what they perceive as the immorality of the Bush administration.

Many voters felt that it was immoral to cut after-school programs for our children in order to fund a tax cut that disproportionately benefits the wealthiest members of our society.

Many Americans felt that it was immoral for the Bush administration to lead our nation to war under false pretenses. Many felt that it was immoral for this administration to give billions of dollars in no-bid contracts to Halliburton at the expense of the American people. Many Americans felt that it was immoral for our president to question the patriotism of a man who served our country honorably in Vietnam, as Bush did to both John McCain in 2000 and John Kerry in this election.

As a Christian and as an American it is difficult for me to understand the choice our nation has made. Perhaps the reason people assume those who voted contrary to them are ignorant is because they do not wish to believe that Americans would knowingly choose to continue in this direction.

Michael Steinhardt is a senior majoring in history.