Getting the right hair

Too flat, too poofy, too many cowlicks and crimps all over — hair can have a mind of its own. People’s hair can say a lot about them and their personal styles. Whether curly or straight, there are simple ways to make hair versatile and chic for fall.

Color is the key to a successful ‘do. As is the case at the end of every summer, it’s time to toss aside the peroxide and opt for darker colors. According to Melissa Cardinale, owner of Salon Risqué in Tampa, deep browns and reds are the colors to do. Chunky highlights are out, and subtle, more conservative highlights are in. Hair color should accentuate facial features and not steal the spotlight.

There was the “Rachel” in the early ’90s, and then the pixie cut and the flowing locks of Lady Godiva, but this year there has been no trend-setting length. Basically, whatever length flatters the shape of the face is the length to have.

To spice up a dull haircut without the risk of an awful cut, just add a few bangs. Those worried about having bangs should do light, side-swept bangs for an easy personality-adding transition. Those whose bangs are an everyday look should add a bit of perk to them by cutting them a bit shorter than usual. Bangs a la Audrey Hepburn are very classic and stylish.

Sleek and shiny is great for formal occasions, but on a day-to-day basis tousled hair is the latest craze. The goal of this style is more of a “windblown” effect rather than the just-rolled-out-of-bed look. This can be achieved by applying a small amount of gel to just the ends of dry hair and rolling it around a bit in your fingertips — but be careful not to turn locks into a rat’s nest through vigorous and excessive rolling!

Tousling is a good look for straight hair, which tends to look oily after product use because it’s all in the tips and not the roots.

We’ve all had our bad hair days, and for students experiencing one in the near future, there are creative and attractive ways to tame wild hair.

Hair wraps are flying off the shelves in stores. These wrap around the top of the hair and tie under the bottom. This is a great way to look stylish without much effort or fly-aways. These wraps come in a variety of colors, from basic black and white to bright blue or pink, and even come with funky designs.

And remember those broaches older women wore? They’re no longer reserved for blazers and coats. Use one to loosely fasten hair for a creative and more formal look for a night out with the girls.

Guys, we know hair is important to you, too, even if you won’t admit it. The trend for males this fall is extremely flexible as well. From shaggy and overgrown to well kept and clean-shaven, anything goes. The most popular trend is short, gelled and tousled, according to Tim Boyson, manager of Express for Men. This simple cut is flexible and can be worn for both work and play.

For a more relaxed look, men should take time off from their barber for a few weeks. This brings back a look from the past, but is seen all over campuses, magazines and television. As for accessories, well, caps and hats are about the extent of it, but they still make a fine addition to casual outfits.

The truth is that hair is an extension of your personality and should be a reflection of who people are. Often, hair is the first thing people notice. So no matter what the style, look or mood may be, remember: There is no guide to the perfect hair or haircut, so experiment, have fun and look for new and unique styling ideas everywhere.