New and Noteworthy for the week ahead

Def Poetry Jam
(Nov. 6/ TBPAC/f$19.50 -$32.50)

Russell Simmons, who made his fortune on the music industry’s lack of foresight in hip-hop more than 20 years ago by creating his own label, is bringing another project to Tampa, Def Poetry Jam. Instead of the hectic atmosphere of hip-hop concerts and clubs, members of Def Poetry Jam took rhymes to quieter venues, such as coffeehouses. Simmons’ vision of his poetry brigade started major networking with HBO, and then went to Broadway in 2002. The street-poetry format takes the dryer academic aspects of poetry and injects vitality into it.

Indie Rock Fest #3

(Nov. 5/ USF Campus at Crosswinds/ $3)

DIY musicians continue to offer new music at USF, this time called the Indie Rock Fest, which is at its third installment as a series. The two previous festivals evidently yielded a good turn out. Musical acts for this show include Lush Progress, Rosco Murphy, Ken Spivey and Jen Shamro.

Jay-Z and Friends

(Nov.6 / St. Pete Times Forum/ $35-59.75)

Jay-Z’s friends that are mentioned in the tour include P. Diddy and Mary J. Blige. The originally scheduled R. Kelly will not be performing. R. Kelly and Jay-Z have recently found success on the pair’s latest collaboration, Unfinished Business. However, R. Kelly backed out of the tour apparently due to scruples with Jay-Z’s security men. That’s when Jay-Z’s friends stepped in.