Marshall Center hosts Election activities

The Phyllis P. Marshall Center will be buzzing with activity on Election Day.

The Campus Activities Board will have its regular Patio Tuesday outside of the Marshall Center with an election flavor to it: Students will be able to get their pictures taken with George W. Bush and John Kerry look-alikes.

The College Democrats have big plans for Tuesday; they are bringing MTV’s Rock the Vote to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Plaza, said John Duddy, College Democrats president. The event starts at 11 a.m. Rock the Vote will feature celebrities and musicians trying to get students to vote.

Rock the Vote has been working closely with MTV’s Choose or Lose: 20 Million Loud to register young voters and to make sure they actually follow through and vote.

There will be CD giveaways and other prizes at the Rock the Vote event.

WBUL will broadcast performances from hip-hop artists such as Tom-G and Fiend.

Also provided will be rides from the Marshall Center to other polling sites in the area.

“The more people who get out to vote, the more the 18-24 year-old demographic will become a force to be reckoned with,” Duddy said.

The Election Night Watch Party, hosted by Rock the Vote at the Phase II club, will begin at 7 p.m.

The Marshall Center will also be a polling site this year, with booths set up in the first floor lounge.

Historically there has not been a high voter turnout at the Marshall Center, but this year may be different because of the immense number of new voters registered this year.