New and Noteworthy for the week ahead

USF Art Faculty Exhibition
(Oct. 29/ USF CAM/free)

Happening only once every three years, USF Contemporary Art Museum is hosting an exhibition of School of Art studio faculty work. This will be a good opportunity to see some of the best artwork USF has to offer, featuring local heroineWendy Babcox, whose work has been displayed in the Weekly Planet. There will also be two bands playing at the event, local band Chaotic Formula Orkestra as well as Chariot, led by assistant professor Ryan Berg, who has drawings and sculpture of Lester Bangs and Fred Astaire.

Guavaween
(Oct. 30/ Ybor City/ $12 nighttime)

This year’s theme is “Sin in the City.” In fact, this could be the permanent name of the festival, as it’s Tampa Bay’s biggest Bacchanalian event. Most years average around 75,000 people during Guavaween at Ybor, and almost all of them are drunk. Attendees can expect massive traffic jams, aggressive policing and expensive special event prices at parking lots and bars alike.

Barry Manilow
(Oct. 30 / St. Pete Times Forum/ $59-133.75)

From the “Are You Serious?” file, Barry Manilow is still caking the make-up on his face and crisping his spiky bleached hair for the spotlight on stage, Debbie Reynolds style. The dryer-than-dry songster is promoting his latest release Scores: songs from Copacabana and Harmony. The album features the 2005 dance mix of “Copacabana” by DJ Eddie X. What kind of people can you expect at the concert? Expect nothing less than Manilow’s flock of animated mannequins numbly awaiting the signal from the mother ship.