Volleyball team aims for win streak

This weekend the USF volleyball team has a pair of matches against two teams going in opposite directions. USF plays UAB tonight and FAMU on Saturday at the Corral. The Bulls look to extend their longest winning streak of the season at three games. The Blazers (1-17 overall, 0-6 Conference USA) come into the match having lost eight straight matches dating back to Sept. 28. USF cannot take UAB’s record lightly since the Blazers’ backs are against the wall.

“We know they will be hungry for a win,” Lessinger said. “I’ve tried to stress that all week. We have to keep our minds on our game.”

Lessinger had her team focus on offensive drills this week to keep focused and fast.

“We did some things to make our offense work faster. We want to get the kill a lot faster and I think we made some improvements.” The Bulls enter this weekend’s game with confidence after winning two straight games at home last week.

USF takes on one of the hottest teams in the country when it faces No. 25 FAMU. The Rattlers have won 15 straight matches. FAMU is also undefeated in the MEAC conference and hasn’t lost a match since Sept. 4 when it played Michigan State. After the loss, USF went on to defeat No. 2 Nebraska in dominant fashion, winning 3-1.

“We haven’t scouted FAMU yet but we know they are an excellent team and we know what they can bring to the table.” Lessinger said.