Students team up to promote activism

The Alliance of Concerned Students — an umbrella group that incorporates several student organizations that come together to actively promote human rights, equality and diversity – will be putting on the Student Activists Fair today at the Martin Luther King, Jr. plaza from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We are just trying to promote progressive values and a more livable future,” said Robyn Brancato of the Alliance of Concerned Students. “The event is for anyone who wants to be involved. So people can get info about what these groups do, what they are about and what are their upcoming events.”

Organizations ranging from the Student Environmental Association and Food Not Bombs to College Democrats and the Organization of Arab Students in Solidarity will be in attendance today. The groups will set up tables and hand out literature to promote awareness of their issues and showcase their messages for change.

“Interests will vary depending on each organization,” said John Duddy, president of College Democrats.

Duddy added that there will be one common theme, “pointing out public policy to move it in a more positive direction.”

“From environmental degradation to human rights and civil liberties, there isn’t anything I can see as positive coming from this administration,” Duddy said. “We are just trying to draw attention to it.”

The event will be free for all students and food and music will be provided.