New and Noteworthy for the week ahead

Ani DiFranco
(September 18/ Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center/ $32-35)

If it’s not pretentious enough to label oneself as a punk folksinger/songwriter, then Ani (AHHnee) DiFranco goes all the way by naming her own record label Righteous Babe Records. One might ask, “Why not Self-Righteous?” Or, why so many young women find the hardly starving artist so important instead of self-important. Actually, all one has to do is look at any form of media to see why DiFranco’s stance is so appealing, because if a female, talented or not, wants to make it in popular music, status quo expects that she objectify her body, especially if she wants to hit that all-important media convergence, MTV. DiFranco is touring in support of her latest album, Educated Guess.

Downtown Art Hop
(September 17/ Downtown/ free to public)

Tampa continues its inferiority complex by attempting to portray itself as a culturally relevant city with cool art festivals, like Friday’s Downtown Art Hop. The event features seven different art galleries throughout South Tampa, most of which will include free drinks and snacks. Trolleys in the area will also be put to use, carrying attendees from one gallery to another. An after-party will be held at Artists Unlimited, an appealing, rustic art house in Channelside, from 9-11p.m.

Independents’ Film Festival
(September 10-26/Tampa Theatre/ $7)

Half-baked attempts to consistently provide independent or art-house films come and go. Tampa Theatre, in contrast, continues to stand firm in its delivery of original films with Saturday’s 11th annual Independents’ Film Festival. This Saturday showcases two hours of youth-oriented films, including student documentaries, minis, shorts and longer features.