Leavitt: Not Ready for Pitt

When USF coach Jim Leavitt walked off the practice field Thursday, he was clear about one thing.

“We’re not ready for Pittsburgh right now,” he said. “But we’re going to try to be by Sept. 6. Eleven days.”

A lot of balls were dropped during passing drills. Others were simply bad throws.

But questions about the quarterback position and how a young receiving corps will perform can’t be answered until the season starts, Leavitt said.

“Pat (Julmiste) is doing some things and Ronnie (Banks) is doing some awful good things,” Leavitt said. “But we’ve got to have a guy who really leads this team. That we’ll find out as the season begins. Both of them are working extremely hard. Both of them are big and strong and they can throw.”

So far, Leavitt said, the practices have focused on his team. Next week practices will help the Bulls prepare specifically for the Panthers.

“You’re always going to be a little unsure in the first game. So you prepare for a lot of things. We don’t know all that Pittsburgh is going to do and it’s going to be important to be able to adjust as the game goes on.”

“We’re preparing the best we can,” Leavitt said. “We think Pittsburgh is an outstanding team. I mean outstanding. They’re one of the top teams in the Big East. We know that. They are a traditional power. They’ve won national championships. It’s a tough contest.”

Early Bird Parking: Several parking lots will open at 12 p.m. for USF’s 4:30 p.m. opener Sept. 6, earlier than the usual three hours before kickoff.

Reserved Lots 5, 6, 6D and 7, as well as general parking Lot 8 off of Himes Ave., will open early. The remaining lots will open at 1:30 p.m.