Three USF football players arrested

Three players on next season’s USF football roster were arrested Thursday for possession of marijuana.

Starting junior middle linebacker Devon Davis and freshman defensive linemen Curtis Chance and Dorrean James were arrested in Ybor City.

Tampa Police spokesman Joe Durkin told the Tampa Tribune that all three players admitted smoking marijuana to officers and that police found eight grams of marijuana in the car.

USF football coach Jim Leavitt did not return phone calls Sunday night.

USF hosts opening rounds of NCAA in 2008

USF announced on Thursday that it would host the first and second rounds of the 2008 NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament at the St. Petersburg Times Forum in Tampa.

The men’s games will be held in addition to the 2008 NCAA Women’s Final Four, also hosted by USF.

“At USF, we take pride in knowing the NCAA has displayed its confidence in us by placing us in the regular rotation to host part of its marquee event — the men’s basketball championship. That and our pending move into the Big East Conference are two powerful indicators of USF’s place in intercollegiate athletics,” Athletic Director Doug Woolard stated in a press release.

USF hosted the first and second rounds of the men’s tournament at the Forum in 2003. It also hosted the men’s Final Four in 1999, a regional game in 1998 and preliminary rounds in 1983 and 1994.

Staff Report