Letters to the Editor

Falun Gong practitioners persecuted worldwide

As a Falun Gong practitioner in Florida, I believe that I am free from the horrendous persecution that is being inflicted on Falun Gong practitioners in China. I am equally certain that you must have heard about the extent of brutality that is applied in the ongoing persecution of Falun Gong, a peaceful meditation practice, by the Jiang Zemin regime in China.

I was shocked when I read on The Epoch Times (a popular Chinese language newspaper, now available in English) that gunmen hired by Jiang Zemin’s regime shot at a group of Falun Gong practitioners in South Africa.

From what I understand, eight Falun Gong practitioners from Australia flew to South Africa to file a lawsuit against Chinese government leaders Zeng Qinghong and Bo Xilai, who have been actively involved in the persecution of Falun Gong. As they were picked up from the airport by a Falun Gong practitioner in South Africa and driving to Pretoria in two cars, a white passenger car opened fire on the second vehicle.

A Falun Gong practitioner, Mr. David Liang, from Australia, who was the only one wearing a Falun Gong jacket, had both of his feet hit by the gunshot, and one of his feet was proven to have a smashing bone fracture.

I am appalled by the temerity of this crime, and I kindly hope that the American government and its leaders can take the right course of action with regards to this issue. This incident underlines the point that the Jiang Zemin regime will go to any extent to persecute Falun Gong practitioners, even as far as hiring gunmen to shoot Falun Gong practitioners in open and democratic countries.

I believe that as a resident of the United States, I am free from such attacks. But will I be free from the fear that someone hired by the Chinese government can just walk into my house and shoot me because I am a Falun Gong practitioner?

Ying Zhang is a graduate student in chemical engineering.