James Bond-style doorknobs now available for normal homes

FingerLock TS-300 Watch

Fingerprint entry technology that once was only available in the movies has made its way to the home market in an attractive package.

The FingerLock TS-300, by T.S. Biometics, allows consumers to enter their homes by using the individual characteristics of their fingerprints.

Coming in at 8.2×12.4 cm, the small sensor pad is installed onto an existing door lock to remove the need for keys. Operating the device is as simple as placing one’s finger on the sensor for a couple of seconds to unlock the door.

There is a low likelihood that anyone, aside from a registered user, would be allowed to enter the house as the device has a one-in-a-million chance of allowing access by intruders.

While the lock may keep out trespassers, the chance it will reject a person’s finger is only one in 1,000 attempts. If the sensor pad does reject the owner’s fingerprint, he or she can enter a personalized code at any time to gain access.

A code can be up to 15 digits long, making it virtually impossible to randomly guess.

Although it may be strict in identifying users, light scratches or shallow wounds on an owner’s finger do not affect the sensor.

The device allows for storage of 25 entries and has a battery life of 5,000 authentications. According to the company’s Web site, this is roughly equivalent to eight months for 20-25 uses per day.

Long before the battery is about to run out, the device sounds an alarm to inform the owner that its time to change the four AA batteries inside.

There is also an added advantage for customers in Florida in that the device features a circuit protection mechanism that will assure that there is no damage due to humidity.

Although the device does resist moisture, the manufacturer does not recommend that it be used for any exterior doors that are open to the elements, as it does not mix well with rain.

The FingerLock TS-300 retails for $952.

www.iwantoneofthose.com

Gustavo Hernandez