Six too many for USF

After losing six straight matches, the Bulls were looking for anything to charge themselves and earn a win.

For the USF women’s tennis team, that charge came after a week’s worth of hard practice, according to coach Gigi Fernandez.

“We’ve had a very hard week of practice,” Fernandez said. “It’s nothing like we’ve done all season.”

Monday, the Bulls (3-9) ended a six-game skid by blanking Southwest Missouri State 7-0.

“We just needed to work harder, and it paid off,” Fernandez said. “The girls responded well.”

Freshman Yuri Kurashima won her first singles match of the year, as she has been struggling to recover from a knee injury.

She beat Elizabeth Garza 6-1, 7-5.

“It’s great to see Yuri pick up her first win,” Fernandez said. “Hopefully, it will be a trend, and she can go on a hot streak.”

Also earning her first win was Gina Craig, who defeated Bijana Gakovic 6-1, 6-0.

“She filled in nicely picking up a quick win,” Fernandez said of Craig, who was playing in her first match of the spring season.

After the Bulls took two of three doubles matches, Gabriela Duch and Marie Andrade made easy work of their opponents, winning in straight sets at Flight 1 and Flight 2, respectively.

Patricia Kolendo and Luisa Obando also came through for USF with singles wins.

And the win came at a good time for the Bulls as they get set to take on No. 20 Illinois on Wednesday.