SG computer lab director dies

After battling cancer for the last two years, one of Student Government’s noted members was lost to the disease early Sunday morning.

Gary Hui, 23, former director of the SG computer lab, died last weekend from a rare form of cancer located near his colon.

Hui was involved in numerous SG affairs while holding the director position from July 2001 to July 2002.

“(Hui) was pretty much involved in every Student Government matter,” said Robert Hamel, former friend of Hui.

Hamel said Hui was responsible for a complete turn around of the SG computer lab located in the basement of the Phyllis P. Marshall Center.

“From the moment Gary became director, he tried to make everything better at the lab,” said Hamel, who had known Hui for four years. “The lab usage increased from about 250-300 students to 700 students a day after Gary took over.”

Hui’s contributions to SG Computer Services were made evident after he implemented new tactics to improve student usage at the computer lab, Hamel said.

“Gary would go out and try to make connections with different department heads,” said Hamel, also a USF alumnus. “(At the same time) Gary would encourage them to pass out flyers to their professors and their classes in order to get the word out about the computer lab.”

In addition, Hui changed the make up of the different computers at the lab by providing students with the choice of Macs and personal computers, Hamel said.

There will be a service held for Hui Sunday at the Family Funeral Care located at 13011 U.S. Hwy. 19 in Hudson, Fla. The viewing starts at 9 a.m., and the funeral service starts around 10:30 a.m.