Sci-fi writer Harrison brings publishing insight to USF

Aside from the three years he served in the Air Force during World War II, Harry Harrison has spent most of his adulthood involved in the production of science-fiction comic books, novels and short stories.

Harrison, 78, will be at the USF Tampa Library today to discuss his writing and the process of editing and publishing stories.

“I think what he has to offer is crucial to any student who wants to be a published writer. He has extensive experience with researching in libraries around the world,” said Skye Rodgers, USF libraries communication manager, who organizes events at the USF libraries.

Rodgers said the forum was arranged when Harrison was in Tampa to speak at the Sun Coast Writers’ Conference on Feb. 6. Rodgers said that students could learn from Harrison’s humorous and insightful anecdotes of years of publishing experience.

Harrison’s writing career began in 1951 when his first story, Rock Diver, appeared in the August edition of Worlds Beyond. He has since authored more than 40 novels, comics and short stories, gaining popularity with his novel Deathworld, printed in 1960 in the magazine Astounding.

The Tampa campus Library contains a special collection of materials donated by Harrison. The collection includes both published and unpublished books and manuscripts, as well as correspondence related to Harrison’s career as a science-fiction author.

The forum, which will be held at 4:00 p.m. today in the Grace Allen room of the USF library, will include a lecture from Harrison followed by a question-and-answer session.