UP searches for police impersonator

Early Thursday morning, two female USF students walking on campus were approached by a man impersonating a police officer, according to a report from the University Police said.

The women were returning to their dorm near Castor Hall from the parking lot by the varsity tennis courts when the man first approached them around near the resident parking lot by Castor Hall to ask them if they were OK.

The man, who was described as a white male, 18-21 years old, with light, short hair and a medium complexion, was driving a four-door, metallic blue or cobalt-color vehicle with tinted windows, the students told police.

After they told the stranger that they were all right, they walked away from him, the report said.

Although the subject appeared to drive away, he came back toward the women with the intent of hitting them, the report said. At that moment, the students started running near Beta Hall, and the man yelled to them, “Stop, I’m campus police; I want to talk to you.” The students stopped to call the police from the lobby of Castor Hall, the report said.

As of late Thursday night the subject had not been apprehended, said Sgt. Mike Klingebiel, spokesman for the University Police.

Until the suspect is taken into custody, Klingebiel advises students to use “good personal crime prevention practices.”

“Students are encouraged to walk around campus with a friend, let people know where you are and where you are going,” he said. “Walk around lighted areas and know where the emergency phones are located around campus.”

The blue emergency call towers and yellow emergency call boxes are located in areas of high traffic, by parking lots and the parking garages, he said.