Bulls dash to Boston

Coming off a praiseworthy performance in last weekend’s Michigan Invitational, the USF Women’s Track and Field team is looking for consistency in today’s meet.

The Bulls are traveling to Boston to take part in the Husky Invite hosted by the University of Connecticut, USF’s soon-to-be conference mate.

The event will be scored, so it will be a true test of how the Bulls can stack up against other schools. USF has high expectations after last week’s performance, and are eager to see how they will match up scoring-wise with some of the nations’ top athletes.

The focus will be on whether or not Chandra Brewer can continue her recent amazing performances. After winning the Conference-USA Co-athlete of the Week Award with a school record-breaking shot put of 52 feet-41/2″ two weeks ago in Gainesville, she placed first in the shot put at the Michigan Invitational. Another first place finish could be crucial to the Bulls’ plan to outscore their opponents.

Other star performers who will be asked to carry the load and generate points are weight thrower Dayana Octavien and high jumper Alexis McGaffagan. Octavien took first in the Weight Throw, and fifth in the shot put last week in Ann Arbor. Her throw of 60 feet-91/4″ was a field house record. She is also USF’s current record holder in the event. McGaffagan is coming off a first place finish last week as well, with a high jump of 5′-8″, and is also the record holder in her event.

The Bulls also have good times in other events, namely, a second place finish and a 7.65 second time in the 60 meter dash from Valquisha Morris, and a first place finish in the 3,000 meter run by Christa Benton, with a time of 10:01.11.

Coach Greg Thiel stresses consistent performance during the early part of the indoor season, and this competition will serve as a good barometer for determining how consistent the Bulls can be.