Moffitt part of TV special

Local access television brings medical experts to the center stage in a show highlighting various issues and offering beneficial advice to both patients and doctors alike.

The second edition of American Media Today featuring the H. Lee Moffitt Center will be airing on the Sunshine Network today at 5 p.m.

The half-hour program will feature Lodovico Balducci, the leader of the Senior Adult Oncology Program, in a panel that will discuss current issues in medicine. The program also will feature Linda Rice, a registered nurse in the Medical Oncology/Hematology program talking about what makes Moffitt so special.

“Moffitt is a comprehensive care center. Patients are referred here from all over the world,” Rice said.

Oncology is the study and treatment of cancer and Moffitt is recognized as one of the top institutions in the world for cancer research and treatment. During the panel discussion, Balducci specifically will talk about the relationship between patients and doctors and how it needs to be one of close communication as well as includes topics such as the patient’s value system and spirituality.

Balducci will also touch upon the hot topic of medical malpractice. He had mentioned before that when malpractice battles enter into the political arena, both doctors and lawyers end up on the losing end while the politicians watch their campaign coffers grow.

In addition, Balducci’s world-renowned expertise has taken him around the world, allowing him to give lectures throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He has published more than 130 journal articles on the subject of geriatric oncology and is active in several medical organizations such as the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American Federation for Clinical Research and the American Society for Breast Disease.

“He is a remarkable man and he was voted the physician of the year at Moffitt this year,” Rice said.

The first edition of American Media Today featuring Moffitt aired on Dec. 26. It featured a discussion between medical doctors at Moffitt and legislators. The program also presented a short interview about Moffitt’s research effort.