Brewer is staking her own claim

How can an athlete on the track team, especially an athlete, with an older brother on the football team get any respect of her own? How about by becoming Conference USA Champion in her event. Not enough? How about then going to the NCAA tournament and gaining All-American honors at the NCAA Outdoor Championships?

Chandra Brewer did just that last season, she emerged out of the shadow of her brother Vince. While Vince split time in the Bulls backfield, Chandra was named C-USA player of the year and was an All-American in shot put.

“She’s a performer,” assistant coach Heather Hendrix said. “She doesn’t like losing, she’s competitive and she wants to win.”

Brewer and the rest of the USF women’s indoor track and field team will compete today at the Florida Intercollegiate in Gainesville.

The junior from Bartow will try to best her performance from a week ago when she placed second with a throw of 49 feet 11 inches.

“(Brewer) has always been able to compete pretty well at big meets,” Hendrix said.

Right alongside Brewer will be Dayana Octavien who set a school indoor record last weekend at the Ohio State Buckeye Invitational in the weight throw with a toss of 62 feet 7 inches.

“We always expect a lot from (Octavien),” Hendrix said. “She’s just athletic and a great thrower.”

Other Bulls hopefuls are Alexis McGaffagan (high jump) and Valquisha Morris (60-meter dash), who both won their events last weekend.

For Hendrix, who is the throw coach, she’ll have an eye on her two best throwers Brewer and Octavien. And if you wonder how she feels to have them on her team, don’t question it.

“Those two, I’m just lucky to have them.”