Baxter leaves team

USF men’s basketball player Jimmy Baxter left the team for personal reasons, thus ending his basketball career in a Bulls uniform.

Baxter, a senior, informed USF coach Robert McCullum of his decision to leave the program Monday.

Neither Baxter nor McCullum could be reached for comment.

Baxter is the fourth player to either leave or be dismissed from the program since McCullum was hired. Yusuf Baker, Danny Oglesby and Sheldon Franklin all were gone before the season started.

Baxter, USF’s second leading scorer last season, was third on the team in scoring (9.8 points per game) and rebounding (3.8) this season. He started 10 of USF’s first 12 games.

Baxter began the year with a double-double performance against Florida Atlantic, scoring a team-high 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting and grabbing 11 rebounds. However, he didn’t manage a single point in the Bulls’ next game, a loss to Valparaiso, going 0-of-8 from the field.

Baxter scored in double figures in five games this season, including a 22-point performance against Wright State, but also failed to score in one other game, a loss to Michigan State.

Baxter finished his career at No. 9 on USF’s all-time list of both 3-pointers made (90) and attempted (278). In 96 career games, including 40 starts, Baxter averaged 7.6 ppg and 2.8 rpg. He averaged a career-high 14.6 ppg last season.

Though Baxter left the basketball team, he will remain with USF’s track and field team. Baxter, a two-time All-American and two-time Conference USA champion in the high jump, had the third-best jump in the nation last season. He has advanced to the past three NCAA Championships in the event.