Learn laws, lessons of becoming wealthy

One of the many tips people need to know to become wealthy is to understand the way they think about money. It is a tip encouraged by Suze Orman, CNBC’s personal finance editor, who will offer financial advice today in her lecture titled “The Laws of Money, The Lessons of Life.”

The lecture’s title comes from her best-selling book, which is one of six she has written about financial issues.

Cathy Grant, assistant director for community relations at USF, said Orman is a leader in financial affairs and is also well known in the Tampa Bay area.

“Suze has a large following in the Tampa Bay region and USF is looking forward to her coming to speak,” Grant said.

During her lecture, Orman will offer financial advice as she does on the CNBC program The Suze Orman Show, which is broadcast every weekend from 8 to 9 p.m.

Grant said Orman’s accomplishments are best attributed to 23 years of experience examining investment portfolios.

Her best-selling books provide motivation and background information needed for people who aren’t financially confident to become wealthy, Grant said.

Orman has been noted as “a force in the world of personal finance” and a “one-woman financial advice powerhouse” by USA Today.

Orman, a sought-after speaker, has lectured across the United States and South Africa, helping people understand monetary issues. The Laws of Money, The Lessons of Life has been the most successful of her books. Orman has also appeared in many newspapers such as USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times and has contributed to the Today Show and Self magazine.

In October 2001, Orman was profiled in Worth magazine’s 100th issue as a financial advisor who has influenced the way people should think about money.

The event will be held in the Special Events Center tonight at 6:30. For more information, contact Cathy Grant at 974-3299.