Reed first Bull to earn conference honor

J.R. Reed became the first USF football player to be named Conference USA Player of the Week. Reed was given the accolade Monday for his performance Friday against Cincinnati.

The senior free safety set school records with 19 tackles and his 14 career interceptions. Reed picked off a pass from Cincinnati quarterback Gino Guidugli in the first quarter to halt a seven-play drive. It was Reed’s third interception of the season, and second in as many games.

USF won the game 24-17 in double overtime keeping alive hopes of a postseason berth. The team must win its final three games in order to become bowl eligible. The Bulls picked off two Guidugli passes, and Lee Roy Selmon Jr. sealed the victory by intercepting the other in the second overtime.

Women to close out golf season in Charleston

The USF women’s golf team closes its fall season today at the second day of the Edwin Watts/Palmetto Intercollegiate in Charleston, S.C. The team entered on a two-tournament winning streak with victories at the Mission Inn Fall Classic on Oct. 21 and at the Beacon Woods Invitational on Oct. 12.

The team was tied for fifth after an opening-round 306 Wednesday, five strokes behind leader Notre Dame. USF freshman Mary Calderon tied for second on the opening day with a 72, four strokes behind the leader.

Other fall events included the Cougar Fall Classic in which the Bulls finished 11th, and the Wildcat Invitational, where the team took 9th.

The team’s spring schedule will begin Feb. 27 with the Pinehurst Challenge in Charleston, Va.

Adam Becker