Letters to the Editor

Teachers decide what is relevant to class

The other day in my Constitutional Law class I was asking the teacher a question when I rudely heard a student say, “Shut up.”. I was very upset by this childish display from a fellow student, who happened to be a student government member and proud fraternity member (this is an assumption, but he is always displaying his Greek letters). I will refrain from giving names because I don’t think it is a true reflection of Student Government or the fraternity, and, well, you are only getting my side.

I was not so rude as to respond there and then, but after class I asked him if he was talking to me when he indicated for me to shut up. He told me in no uncertain terms, “You have nothing substantial to contribute to the class.” I have never encountered this kind of arrogance before. I was livid! I told him some words that would surely be deleted by this newspaper and was left in disbelief. The class is 10 percent discussion and apparently he feels that he should decide what is relevant in class.

I now understand how people develop negative views about Student Government and fraternities on campus; not because of the organizations themselves, but because of the few idiots out there proudly displaying their letters, thinking of themselves as elite students and, in some cases, intimidating students who might not be as bold as myself.

I am sure Student Government members at least should follow some ethical guidelines about conducting themselves in public and interacting with students, because they were surely ready to impeach the popular president for his “unethical conduct!”

Aria Rowland is a senior majoring in political science.

Political power needs to go to the people

Our political system doesn’t work because it is a democratic republic and not a true democracy. Representatives are chosen on a “what fits best” approach (usually), meaning that if three issues are at stake and a person supports the view of one candidate on issues 1 and 2 and another candidate on issue 1, but supports neither candidate on issue 3, then the vote does not affect the third issue.

It is possible with today’s technology to hold regular elections where bills no longer have to go through the hands of representatives. The polls would be opened once a month and the voters would make the choices on important issues. Politicians would still exist for the purposes of handling relations, minor bills that would otherwise make the ballot a 6-hour chore, emergency procedures and — in my view the most important role — educate the public on current issues.

As an added bonus, voters could be given the power to oust officials that aren’t doing their jobs or are lying to the public when they take their regular monthly visits to the polls. People would no longer need to tolerate politicians that say one thing during the campaign and do another in the office.

While California has demonstrated the power of impeachment, the context in which it was held was a bad one. Many Americans feel powerless when it comes to politics. They feel all they do is help pick the guy that makes the decisions; they don’t actually make the decisions themselves. This has bred apathy in many voters, and this apathy has led to a lighthearted view on the subject. If the people had real power, and the education to make informed decisions, we may see a renewed interest in politics and higher voter turnout.

Seeing Bush pass a stupid law won’t really convince many people to vote (especially since the only option is voting for the “other guy”), but seeing one’s neighbors pass a law will.

Jeff Sowers is a junior majoring in mechanical engineering.

School spirit helps USF teams win

USF is very privileged to have the opportunity to play football at Raymond James Stadium. There are green and gold signs up everywhere in support of the Bulls. The field even gets painted with the new school logo. The stadium is an awesome place to enjoy our football games. Another advantage USF has is its encouraging, loud, upbeat fans. The students, alumni and fans that come to the games really make a difference. The encouraging atmosphere screams victory. Some of the fans even paint their bodies in green and gold. At every home game, there is a group of students that each put a letter on their green stomachs that, when standing in a line, read “USF Bulls.” The fan participation at the games is growing, and the spirit of the Bulls is rising. The game I enjoyed most was against the Cardinals, the highlight of the night being the wave.

Beginning in the student section, the wave took off and made it all the way around the stadium. That was probably the first time in USF history that the wave had gone all the way around the stadium. I lost count, but I think it went around about nine times.

In order to win football games, the effort of our awesome football players is definitely required. But the excitement that the fans give off is contagious and spreads to every person in the stadium. As a freshman and Bulls cheerleader, I think a motivated crowd makes the difference in a game. The fans can help the team win the game.

Once the supportive and enthusiastic fans begin the stampede, the Bulls cannot be stopped. Students and fans, make sure you come to the Homecoming game on Friday and help pave the way for another Bulls victory.

Aubrey Phillips is a freshman majoring in psychology.