Letters to the Editor

Shuttle times should be changed for weekends

Being a freshman without a car, the shuttle bus is the most reliable transportation Ihave. But lately I have been experiencing some difficulties with this system.

I was recently hired at one of the clothing stores at University Mall, and I figured that I could just use the shuttle bus to take me back and forth from work. I was faced with a problem when I was scheduled to work Sunday from 1:30pm to 6:30pm.

Looking at, the bus schedule, I saw that Shuttle D doesn’t run until 2:30 p.m. and stops at 9:30 p.m.

This brings me to my problem. I don’t understand how on Saturdays the shuttle buses run from noon to 4:30 p.m. and on Sunday it runs from 2:30pm. to 9:30 p.m. Shuttle D, the one I depend on, runs to the mall until 9:30 p.m. on Sundays even though the mall closes at 6 p.m. and stops at 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays when it closes much later.

I believe the schedule needs to switch up. On Saturdays it should run from noon to 10 p.m. and on

Sundays from noon to 7 p.m. This would benefit everyone because most students do errands on Saturday when most stores are open later.

Kimberli Beckett is a freshman majoring in mass communications.

College experience important for later life
Re: “College should be about meeting people as well”

There really are a good number of college students that sit around without the proper social skills needed to graduate.

Watching television and playing computer games all day is hardly a way to improve and make one’s way through college and into the after-college environment. That is clearly one of the reasons why I joined a fraternity at USF. Within six months of being a “Greek,” I had dramatically improved social, speaking and leadership skills. I am writing this in hopes of inspiring anyone sitting all day in their rooms to grasp the opportunity of going Greek and discovering what the “real college experience” is all about.

Paul Haynicz is majoring in Russian and international studies and is a member of the Delta Chi Fraternity.

Schiavo case reporting has been biased, unfair

As I write this, the Florida Legislature is giving Jeb Bush the power to reinsert Terri Schiavo’s feeding tube. People all over the state are breathing a sigh of relief that her “evil husband” isn’t allowed to “starve her to death.”

People have a one-sided view on this issue. They hear only from doctors and lawyers hired by the family, who have their own sociopolitical axes to grind. You don’t hear from the numerous disinterested doctors who say Terri is in an unrecoverable vegetative state.

You don’t hear about the personal anguish her husband has faced. You don’t hear about how he’s sat around and taken it while four times the Schindler family and the state Legislature have ganged up to deny him his rights as Terri’s husband and legal guardian and caregiver.

Terri Schiavo died thirteen years ago, and she is never coming back.

Does she respond to her family? No. Does Michael Schiavo stand to inherit much money through her death? No. Take a step back and look at both sides of the story and then see who you believe.

Kyle Woodlock is a sophomore majoring in computer science.