Oglesby may leave Bulls

Sophomore guard Danny Oglesby hasn’t practiced for the men’s basketball team and could be leaving the program.

Coach Robert McCullum said Monday he can’t remember the last time he talked to Oglesby and he was planning on opening the season without him.

“I don’t know exactly what his position is or what he’ll do,” McCullum said. “I guess he’ll probably ask for his release. But he hasn’t yet indicated he intends to transfer.”

By renewing Oglesby’s scholarship in July, McCullum said he wanted the 6-foot-1 combo guard from Connecticut on the team. In 27 games, and five starts, Oglesby contributed 3.8 points per game and shot 40 percent from the field as a freshman. But practice began Friday with Midnight Mania and Oglesby did not attend.

“We had conversations about taking care of responsibilities and that appeared somewhat difficult for him,” McCullum said. “During the process, we talked about his actions being indicative of someone who didn’t want to be here, and he acknowledged that.”

If he leaves the team, Oglesby would be the third player from former coach Seth Greenberg’s 2002 recruiting class to follow him out the door following last season. Sheldon Franklin, who redshirted last season with a torn ACL, quit the team after his test scores made him academically ineligible.

Power forward Yusuf Baker’s bad grades got him dismissed from the team in July. Also, USF granted Greenberg recruit Ricardo Freeman a release from his letter of intent. Small forward Sam Barber is the only remaining player from the 2002 class.

“I don’t think that says anything about us,” McCullum said. “We have nine or 10 people that have indicated they want to be with us. I’d like to have 13, but we have to play the hand we’re dealt. We’ll go with the guys who want to be here.”

Oglesby couldn’t be reached for comment.