The great Gramatica debate

One of the greatest debates within the Gramatica family could perhaps be which one of the three brothers is the best place kicker.

The eldest, Martin, currently kicks for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, while the middle brother and former USF kicker, Bill, currently serves as the kicker for the Arizona Cardinals.

And every USF student certainly knows where the youngest brother, Santiago, kicks, especially after his game-winning field goal against Louisville on Saturday.

But when halftime comes in Monday tonight’s NFL game between Tampa Bay and Indianapolis, the debate will shift to answer: Who is the best singer?

“That’s a tough one,” Santiago said.

Santiago’s two brothers will be featured on the “American Idol” version of Monday Night Football, “Monday Night at the Mic,” where professional football players are paired with musicians or bands for one minute pre-recorded songs for fans to vote on.

The two oldest Gramatica brothers were paired with guitarist Carlos Santana, and they will compete against the duo of St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Kyle Turley and the band Three Doors Down.

Santiago traveled to Denver with his brothers for the recording session, where the brothers recorded three songs for the competition. Although Santiago won’t be featured alongside his brothers, he didn’t waste the opportunity to sing with a famous musician.

“I was there and I wasn’t going to pass up that opportunity,” Santiago said. “It was amazing, just the whole atmosphere of being around (Santana) was pretty entertaining. Now when you see him on TV or watch him on MTV, you see the whole band and you have a connection with them.”

Viewers are able to vote for the best act online, with each week’s winner moving on in the competition. The championship is set to air during the Dec. 15 game between Miami and Philadelphia.