Knowledge will Reign Supreme Over Nearly Everyone at USF

In Jan. 1988 Boogie Down Productions released the album By All Means Necessary, an emcee’s dialogue about violence, political issues and the current status of hip hop. That year, after the passing of BDP’s co-founder Scott LaRock, KRS-One established himself as one of the most influential voices in hip hop. In that same year on May 23, USF broke ground and created something that’s still going strong today. To celebrate the 15th anniversary of WBUL and the release of BAMN, KRS-One will perform at USF’s Special Events Center.

WBUL’s creation started a legacy at USF. While it is one of the few college radio stations in Florida completely run by students, WBUL has been in danger of losing funding in the past. But due to the resurgence in student government and increased funding, WBUL is able to bring a popular act like KRS-One to USF — and all for a couple cans of creamed corn or baked beans charitably donated by each concertgoer.

KRS-One, who has released almost a dozen albums, and has performed all over the world and speaks at countless universities including Yale and Harvard, decided to entertain USF for the charity concert. The concert, which will be free to everyone granted they bring two non-perishable food items, is a benefit for the community in the form of a food drive — all items collected at the concert will be donated to Metropolitan Ministries.

As a person who has done so much for the hip hop community and holds numerous humanitarian awards, it is only logical that KRS would want to give something back to college students who may not be able to afford a quality show like this.

KRS’ name and his prestige are things that will bring people to the concert said Durium Jones, the business and hip-hop music director for WBUL.

“It is really good for the community. The more people that show up the more food we collect,” Jones said.

This summer, KRS-One recently released the book Ruminations, which tackles the events of Sept. 11, voting and language among other things. He also released his new album, The Kristyle, in August. Because of the brand new material on the album, KRS concert attendees might hear live performances of songs like “Underground” and “Nothing in the World is Impossible,” as well as some old favorites like “My Philosophy.” KRS, who often urges fans who attend his concerts to bring tape recorders with them, should also showcase some spoken word for which he is also well known.

USF hosting the father of what most know as hip hop is monumental to the university and WBUL.

“There are not many people who do a hardcore hip hop set like KRS-One,” Jones said. “I don’t think USF has seen hip hop in its realest and truest form … it’s not like the hip hop you see on TV.”

As the 15th year anniversary pays homage to the station’s 1988 opening, KRS is helping to memorialize WBUL’s steadfast drive and longevity. Students will some day look back and remember the time when KRS-One came and performed at SEC. This show, which is a mere foreshadowing of the great things to come for WBUL and USF, could prove to be as groundbreaking as WBUL’s inception.