Sophomore guard Houston charged with three felonies

Sophomore offensive guard Shelly Houston was arrested Thursday afternoon and did not travel with the football team to Army for USF’s first Conference USA game.

Houston, 21, was arrested on charges of burglary of a conveyance (vehicle), grand theft and fraudulent use of a credit card. All three charges are third-degree felonies.

According to arrest records, Houston was arrested at 4 p.m. at the campus police station by the Tampa Police Department and booked at the Hillsborough County Jail. He was later released at 5:37 a.m. Friday on $6, 000 bond.

Houston then notified USF coach Jim Leavitt of the arrest, complying with USF’s new policy requiring athletes to notify their coach or Athletic Director Lee Roy Selmon within 24 hours of any arrest.

Houston has since been suspended indefinitely from the team.

Houston, who had started 10 of the past 11 games for the Bulls at left guard, was replaced in the starting lineup by sophomore John Miller, who made his first career start Saturday at center. Junior center Alex Herron moved into the left guard position.

USF defense No. 1 in C-USA

Following USF’s 28-0 victory against Army, the Bulls became the No. 1 overall defense in Conference USA. USF allows an average of just 294 total yards per game, about five yards less than TCU. The Bulls also have the No. 1 passing defense, in part to holding Army quarterback Zac Dahman and Matt Silva to 159 combined passing yards Saturday and facing Nicholls State three weeks ago, a team that primarily runs the option. The Bulls allow an average of just 136.7 yards a game through the air, while holding opposing passers to an anemic 79.7 passer rating.

Whittaker moves up on all-time receivers lists

Senior wide receiver Huey Whittaker moved into fourth place on the USF all-time receiving yards list and into a tie for third in receptions after recording five catches for 94 yards in Saturday’s victory. Whittaker’s 1,119 yards moved him past teammate Chris Iskra (1,047), while he currently sits in a tie with former wide receiver DeAndrew Rubin with 91 career receptions.

Defensive end Jones ties school record

Junior defensive end Tim Jones tied former linebacker Kawika Mitchell’s school record of five tackles for a loss against the Black Knights. Jones finished Saturday’s game with seven total tackles, three of which were unassisted.