Founder of Latina Magazine speaks tonight for ULS

Christy Haubegger was chosen as one of Newsweek’s “Women of the New Century,” named one of “100 Most Influential Hispanics” by Hispanic Business Magazine and NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw profiled her as one of the “Ten Most Inspirational Women” in 2001.

Tonight, Haubegger comes to the Phyllis P. Marshall Center Ballroom as part of Hispanic Heritage month.

Haubegger, an esteemed business figure and leading opinion maker on Latino issues, who is coming to USF has part of the University Lecture Series.

Haubegger has triumphed over adversity most of her life. She overcame the double obstacle of being Hispanic and female in corporate America.

Haubegger is the visionary founder of the first bilingual magazine, Latina Magazine, which is targeted to Hispanic women in the United States. She is also known as one of America’s leading marketers. In addition, Haubegger is an expert on brand identity, gaining market share, the Hispanic marketplace and the world of venture capital.

Holly Miller, chairwoman of the University Lecture Series received a proposal from the Mexican American Student Association about bringing Haubegger to campus. After the proposal was reviewed, Haubegger was invited to speak.

About 250 people are expected to attend the lecture.

“I expect a lot of students, faculty and community members to be pleased by Christy’s lecture,” Miller said.

Haubegger is expected to discuss her life and how being female and Hispanic has affected her rise in the business world, something Miller said she thinks will resonate with USF students.

“I think her message of team building, determination and reaching your personal goals will be remarkable, and I myself am excited to see her speak,” Miller said.

Miller said Haubegger will talk about her practical business outlook and believe-in-yourself determination that enabled her to make her vision a reality.

Haubegger will receive honorary pay for speaking, something Student Government has supported since 1986 though A&S funding, Miller said.

Hispanic Heritage Month, which was extended to a full month in 1988 by an act of Congress, is a time when Americans celebrate the contributions Latinos have made to the United States.

The lecture is free and open to the public and begins at 6 p.m.