Bulls place 1,2,3

It was win, place and show for the USF women’s cross country team at the Bulldog Stampede on Saturday.

All-American Christa Benton claimed first place with a time of 18:12 in the 3-mile race. That was enough to pull away from Bente General, who finished in 18:28.

Sophomore Jessica Hellender rounded out the trio of Bulls at the top by coming in third at 18:32.

Hellender has been among the top six in all three races USF has entered this season.

However, a sweep of the top three spots couldn’t secure a victory as the Bulls settled for third with 73 points. Vanderbilt (55 points) owned the team crown with host Georgia four points off the pace.

In the 8K men’s run, both Bulls who entered came in the top 20. Sean Burris was 10th and Adam Chumbley, 19th.

Both cross country squads will take the weekend off before returning to competition at Notre Dame on Oct. 3.

Selmon could obtain 6th year of eligibility

A sixth year of eligibility is a rarity in college football, but after being granted medical hardships for the 2001 and 2002 seasons, Lee Roy Selmon Jr. could be back in 2004.

Although he can’t apply for a sixth year until after this season, Selmon’s good news on Friday is a good sign. The defensive tackle played as a true freshman in 1999 and picked up 10 tackles as a sophomore, starting six times in 2000. He volunteered to redshirt in 2001, then sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament playing pick-up basketball prior to last year.

In two games this season, Selmon has six tackles and one sack.

Anthony Gagliano