New and Noteworthy

e.o. — chaos/composition
(Aug. 28 — Sept. 12/ Marshall Center’s Centre Gallery)

The folks at the Centre Gallery sure keep art interesting. This showcase of paintings, broken windows and sculptures — created by USF undergrad John P. Gilbert — portrays chaos as a metaphor for beauty. If you’ve been around, you know the gallery’s exhibitions are not to be missed. If you’re new, go find out for yourself.

The Central Florida Cactus and Succulent Society’s Labor Day show and sell
(Aug. 30, 31/ 10 a.m. — 4 p.m., 10 a.m. — 3 p.m./ USF Botanical Gardens/ Free)

Labor Day isn’t just for the overworked anymore, — make way for cacti lovers. No, seriously. This weekend marks the C.F.C.S.S.’s (that’s a mouthful) ninth annual show and sell, an event where all cacti and succulent plant lovers in the area can get their fix.

The 2003 Rock Boat Labor Day Cruise
(Aug. 28 — Sept. 1/ The ocean/ Sold Out)

Sister Hazel, Tonic and Edwin McCain probably couldn’t sell out a barbecue in my backyard, but throw ’em on a cruise ship and half of Tampa gets on board. Go figure. Unless you are one of the lucky ones with reservations, you’ll be missing meets, greets and martinis galore. Boo hoo.

Mariah Carey
(Sept. 3/ 8 p.m./ Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center/ $58.25 – $128.25)

Mariah isn’t so hot these days, following the whole Glitter breakdown epic. That’s OK, she’ll never stop running out of love from her pre-diva days. The fact remains that this woman can still flat-out sing.

Dirty Pretty Things
(Aug. 28-Sept. 4/7:30 p.m./Tampa Theatre/ $7.50)

Since starring in the acclaimed Amelie, Audrey Tautou has become quite the arthouse darling. Dirty Pretty Things could put her on the map in the States. She’s pale, French and cute. It doesn’t get any more indie than that, folks.