McDonald’s summer league experience has its highs and lows

It’s been an up-and-down three games in the Long Beach Summer League for former USF center Will McDonald. Playing with Golden State, McDonald opened the seven-game season with a 15-point, eight-rebound effort against the Lakers on Wednesday.

Thursday was a different story.

McDonald struggled to stay in the game, registering more fouls (two) than points (one) in a 120-114 loss to Memphis. McDonald made 1-of-2 free throws and blocked a shot in eight minutes of action.

He rebounded Friday to help Golden State register its first victory, a 98-85 triumph vs. the Clippers. In 19 minutes, McDonald recorded nine points and seven rebounds, shooting 3-of-4 from the field and the free-throw line.

McDonald averaged more than 15 points and eight rebounds per game as a senior for the Bulls in 2002-03. In C-USA’s top 10 in scoring, rebounding and field goal percentage, McDonald was a third-team All C-USA selection.

Other players on Golden State’s team include former C-USA Player of the Year Steve Logan, Mike Dunleavy (the third pick in the 2002 NBA Draft) and the Warriors’ first-round pick this year, Mickael Pietrus.

Alumni of the summer leagues who have gone on to star in the NBA include Tracy McGrady, Penny Hardaway, Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson.

Cardieri is students’ choice

USF baseball coach Eddie Cardieri has been honored as the recipient of the second annual Conference USA Student Athlete Advisory Committee’s Coaches Choice Award.

The annual award goes to the coach in C-USA who best exemplifies a commitment to creating a positive academic and athletic atmosphere, while fostering the student athlete’s development and welfare.

Staff reports