Georgantas makes history

Former USF softball star Ginny Georgantas received a bittersweet welcome to International Competition at the U.S. Cup that started June 19.

Georgantas, representing Greece, her ancestors’ home country, played her first international games at the U.S. Cup in Honolulu, Hawaii.

During her first game, Georgantas managed one hit in Greece’s 4-1 loss to Canada.

Greece’s first baseman also had her best defensive game of the tournament recording seven putouts.

In her next game at the U.S. Cup, Georgantas faced her old coach and mentor Ken Eriksen, head coach of USF and currently an assistant on the U.S. squad. America welcomed Greece to world competition by handing them an 11-1 loss. Georgantas had her worst offensive outing of the weekend, going hitless and striking out once.

But triumph followed failure when, in a second game against the U.S., Georgantas etched her name in the Greece history books by hitting the first home run in Greek history.

In the sixth inning, she took a Cat Osterman offering and drove it over the left-field fence.

Georgantas added another mark in the history books by helping Greece to its first international victory. The 2004 Olympic hosts defeated Chinese Taipei 2-1 behind a three hit, one RBI day from pitcher Sarah Farnworth.

Farnworth also pitched five innings, allowing three hits and throwing two strikeouts.

Georgantas, batting cleanup, contributed one hit.

For Greece’s final game of the tournament, Georgantas would move up one spot in the order to No. 3, where she had one hit.

The versatile former Bull also received playing time at third base and spent some time pinch-hitting.