USF loses 9-of-10 during two week drought

The past 16 days have been rough for USF baseball. In the past 10 games, the Bulls have won only twice, dropping them to No.7 in the Conference USA standings and droping their record to 28-23, 12-13 in C-USA.

April 26 — Houston 5, USF 3

The Bulls lost in the 10th inning to the Cougars when sophomore Stuart Musslewhite hit a two-run home run propelling Houston past USF to claim the first victory in the series.

USF was down by one in the ninth inning, but battled back to force extra innings when Scott Rachlin drove in Devin Ivany with a left field single.

The Bulls had no chance to match what Houston did in the 10th, because Ryan Wagner struck out the first three batters that came up to the plate.

This was the first game of a double hitter played that day. The double hitter came as a result of a rain out on April 25.

April 26 — USF 10, Houston 7

The Bulls claimed the second game of the double header against Houston in a seventh inning rally.

The Bulls entered the seventh down 7-5, but four runs scored while two outs were on the board propelled the Bulls past the Cougars.

The Cougars were silent the next two innings, only getting two hits before they were put down by USF.

April 27 — Houston 12, USF 7

USF dropped the game to Houston in what was the second extra inning game of the series when the Cougars scored six runs in the top of the 10th inning.

USF had a chance to win the game in both the eighth and ninth innings, but were unable to do so. The Bulls left a total of five runners on base in the eighth and ninth, on their way to a total of 16 runners left on base.

Unable to win the game in the first nine, the game was forced into extra innings where Houston scored six runs off seven hits. The Bulls used three pitchers in the inning, but nothing could stop the slue of singles that pushed the Cougars around the bases.

USF managed one run in the 10th, but it was far from enough to challenge Houston.

May 2 — USF 3, TCU 0

A three-run home run in the first inning was all USF needed as they shutout the Horned Frogs in their own stadium.

Jon Uhl pitched 8 2/3 innings not allowing a single run before Joey Livingston came in and struck out the only batter he faced to complete the shutout.

Six hits scattered throughout the innings was the only offense TCU could manage the entire night.

May 3 –TCU 5, USF 1

A complete game by TCU pitcher Kyle Shoemaker allowed the Bulls only one run off six hits in a 5-1 loss to the Horned Frogs.

TCU had five runs in five different innings, the first run came off the bat of Chris Neuman, who hit a home run over the center field fence. It was his 14th home run of the season.

USF’s only run came in the top of the ninth when Myron Leslie was driven in by a sacrifice fly hit by Devin Ivany.

May 4 — TCU 10, USF 3

A hit-fest in the fifth inning by TCU put the Bulls away as the Horned Frogs went on to win 10-3.

TCU scored eight runs off of seven hits and two USF errors, seven of which were scored with two outs on the board.

The Bulls had an early lead in the game, they were winning 3-0 at the end of the second, but the fifth inning was too much for the Bulls who wound up losing there second game in a row.

May 7 — Stetson 5, USF 3

A four-run third inning by Stetson University proved to be enough offense to hand USF their third straight loss.

After a two-run double, Bryan Zenchyk stepped up to the plate and hit a two-run home run to give Stetson a 4-0 lead.

USF got into within two runs after the seventh inning, but the bats fell silent after that, and Stetson went on to beat USF for the second time this season at Red McEwen Field.