Bulls draw third seed, bye at C-USA Tourney

The USF men’s tennis team claimed the No. 3 seed and a first-round bye in this year’s Conference USA Tournament in Milwaukee, Wis.

USF opens against the winner of No. 5 Memphis vs. No. 12 DePaul Thursday at 9 a.m.

The Bulls won the conference tournament last season and earned an automatic berth into the NCAA Championships, where they lost in the second round to the University of Florida.

Bulls end season with 4-2 loss

The USF women’s tennis team fell to DePaul 4-2 Monday in New Orleans in the consolation round of the Conference USA Tournament, ending the Bulls’ season.

USF took the early point by winning two of three doubles matches, but the Bulls dropped four of five singles matches to lose the match.

DePaul’s No. 6 singles player, Megan Stewart, defeated USF’s Belen Pandre 7-6, 1-6, 6-4 to clinch the win for the Blue Demons.

USF defeated Charlotte in the opening round of the tournament 4-2, but fell 4-0 against Houston the following day in the quarterfinals, forcing the Bulls to play in the consolation bracket.

Football team names captains

Heading into its first season in Conference USA and its third season in Division I football, USF has selected four players to captain its ship.

Seniors Chris Iskra, Maurice Jones, Kevin Verpaele and Huey Whittaker were named captains for the 2003 season Monday.

Linebacker Jones and Verpaele, a strong safety, are the Bulls’ defensive captains, while Iskra and Whittaker, both receivers, represent the Bulls’ offense.

Staff reports