Cross gives permission to speak with Willard

The list of official candidates for the position of USF men’s basketball coach has grown to three.

Thursday, athletic director Lee Roy Selmon was granted permission to speak with Holy Cross head coach Ralph Willard.

An athletic official at Holy Cross said athletic director Richard Reagan and Selmon exchanged messages Thursday, and reached an agreement to discuss the opening with Willard.

In his four seasons at the helm of the Crusaders, Willard led the team to a 76-43 record. Holy Cross has made an appearance in the NCAA tournament for the past three years.

“Ralph is one of the best coaches in America, so of course people want to talk to him. We have received inquiries every year. We received them last year. It just did not reach the papers. Despite all the interest that we have had, he is still here,” Reagan said in a statement Thursday.

Even though Willard has gotten a lot of attention lately, there is still interest in University of Florida associate head coach Anthony Grant, who met with Selmon on Tuesday, and USF assistant head coach David Zimroth, who met with Selmon on Monday.

“We met and had a very healthy discussion,” Zimroth said. “Obviously, we worked together for seven years and had a lot to talk about.”

Contact Bryan Fazioat oraclebryan@yahoo.com