Fun 2 Drive Ratio

In early 2002, Subaru graced the U.S. market with the much sought-after Impreza WRX. Because of its reputation overseas, the car was an instant hit. It is one of the ultimate “smiley face inducers” in the automotive circle. But Subaru is not the only company making high-revving, fun-loving and rally-winning cars. Enter Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII.

Much like the Subaru Impreza WRX, the Lancer is a boy-racer with cult status in Europe and Asia but, for some unknown reason, we Yanks were denied these affordable exotics. The Lancer EVO I was born in 1992, then producing 247hp from a four-banger accompanied by all-wheel drive. Today, the Lancer EVO VIII sports very aggressive bodywork, and the power is up to 271hp, just five fewer than the Japanese limit.

The car comes with a Momo steering wheel and, Recaro seats. The Lancer EVO VII is coupled with exclusive Enkei wheels, as well. One might think this is the work of a young chap with a lot of extra cash, but one lap will certainly convince you that this is the work of rally engineers with four World Rally Championship titles.

But what about the Subaru WRX, you might ask? Well, the Lancer trounces the WRX, considering it produces 44 more horses but also costs $5,000 more. In the style department, the WRX is prettier. It is not as scary-looking, but that is a subjective matter. For less than $30,000 with 271 horses, guaranteed euphoria and a respected name, it is not a bad deal. But the Lancer’s overall package does not stand up to its price tag. Subaru is planning to bring a 300 hp Impreza WRX Sti stateside very soon. This equates to serious problems for the new Lancer, considering the Sti is also approximately $30,000.

If you want to be different, definitely buy the Lancer, as there are too many WRXs around as it is (there are more than half a dozen on campus). For me; though the Subaru WRX Sti takes the cake.

Contact Andrew Popoolaat oraclecars@yahoo.com