Spy Kids sequel entertains adults, children

It is a kid’s dream to go on an adventure, solve mysteries and save the world. In Spy Kids, Carmen and Juni got to do it. And in Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams, they get to do it again.

While James Bond may never age, if he ever were a kid, he would have been in the Organization of Super Spies, as it is called in Spy Kids. And though this movie was made for kids, it will amuse most audiences.

This time around, Spy Kids has more of everything — more gadgets, more adventures, more weird creatures and more appearances by famous actors.

Among those who agreed to star in the movie are Bill Paxton, Steve Buscemi, and Mike Judge (the creator of Beavis and Butthead).

Plot-wise, the sequel is not as good as its predecessor, but where it lacks in inventiveness, it makes up in humor, adventure and great acting. Whereas in the first movie, Carmen (Alexa Vega) and Juni (Daryl Sabara) had to save their parents, in the sequel, they have a mission of their own. They have to save the world, and to do so this time, they need the help of their parents, grandparents and a crazy scientist named Romero (Buscemi).

Included on the recently released DVD are multiple extra features. The feature commentary by writer/director Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, The Faculty) focuses mainly on the technical aspects of making the movie. It’s a good overview of how the movie was made and when special effects and special techniques were used.

The “10-Minute Film School,” which shows exactly how some of the effects used in the movie were achieved, is absolutely fabulous. It’s funny, well-made and informative.

Also included are eight deleted scenes, the “Isle of Dreams” music video performed by Vega, a detailed description and evaluation of the spy kids’ gadgets and some behind-the-scenes montages that show how stunts, scenes and ideas were incorporated into the final production of the film.

To please any fan of Spy Kids, the DVD also includes a game in which a viewer can save the world by answering several questions about the movie.

However, the “School at Big Bend National Park,” a feature detailing the geography of Texas (where the movie was mainly shot), the archeological sites found in the park and the genealogical history of the site, seems somewhat out of place. While very educational, the feature seems of little interest to anyone who might stumble upon it.

With Spy Kids 3 (starring Sylvester Stallone as the villain) due out in theaters this summer, anyone who might have missed the two previous installments of this trilogy should make it a goal to pick up both at the nearest Blockbuster. Spy Kids may not necessarily be something to own, but for a night of fun, laughter and kid dreams, the movie is an excellent choice.

Contact Olga Robak at oracleolga@yahoo.com