Big Easy proves difficult for USF

As USF’s men’s basketball team raced toward the Conference USA tournament, it needed to start picking up wins away from the Sun Dome.

The Bulls failed to get another road victory Tuesday, losing 68-65 to Tulane to drop its record to 13-10 and 1-9 on the road.

The loss to Tulane was costly for the Bulls, allowing the Green Wave to pull into second place in C-USA’s National Division.

USF dropped to 6-6 in conference play, while Tulane improved to 6-5.

Even though the Bulls topped the Green Wave in shooting percentage, (44.8 percent to 35.4), USF could not come away with the win.

In another close game, the Bulls could not connect on free throws, shooting 2-for-10 while Tulane shot 70.4 percent.

USF committed 17 turnovers leading to 21 Green Wave points.

A new face was in the starting lineup for USF, as freshman Danny Oglesby replaced Terrence Leather at the small forward position.

Leather took an indefinite leave of absence from the team Sunday, after exiting the Bulls’ bench during their game against Houston Saturday and watching part of the contest in street clothes from the stands.

In his first start of the season, Oglesby scored 10 points, had two assists and two rebounds in 22 minutes while turning the ball over twice.

USF had a thin bench Tuesday night, only dressing eight scholarship players.

The Bulls were further thinned by the foul trouble of Brian Swift, Yusuf Baker and Will McDonald, who each committed four fouls.

Baker, the Bulls’ other freshman starter, played only 16 minutes, scoring four points and grabbing four rebounds.

USF lost the battle for the boards 43-39.

McDonald led the Bulls by securing 10 rebounds, four coming on the offensive end.

The Bulls senior center scored 10 points while turning the ball over a game-high eight times.

USF had four players in double figures as McDonald, Oglesby, Jimmy Baxter and Gerrick Morris reached the mark.

Baxter led the Bulls, scoring 15 points while grabbing seven rebounds and dishing out three assists.

The high scorer for the game was Tulane’s guard Brandon Spann, who contributed 16 points.

Waitari Marsh had 15 points for the Green Wave while handing out five assists, pulling down nine boards and stealing the ball two times.

The Bulls will return home Saturday for a nationally televised game on ESPN at 7 p.m.

USF is 12-1 at home and will host Memphis.

The Tigers were the Bulls only road win of the season, when USF defeated them 75-74 Jan. 18.