Letters to the Editor 1/16

Residence Services misleads students

This letter is to address the poor living accommodations of Magnolia Apartments on campus. I am a graduate student who has been living there since Fall 2002, and let me start by saying that I would not recommend living in Magnolia to my worst enemy.

Aside from the rent being too high, the rooms being too small, poor cable TV reception, mishandling of mail and the computer lab always being closed, Magnolia fails to offer the “convenience, value and hassle-free experience” that is advertised in the Residence Services booklet.

The rooms are significantly too small for a graduate student (whom they are targeting to be residents). I pay approximately $560 a month to live in Magnolia, which is highway robbery compared to some places off campus where students pay only $400 a month and get more amenities than Magnolia residents can even imagine.

I have received mail up to three weeks late, sometimes not at all, because the Magnolia staff has either misplaced it or returned it to the sender for some unknown reason.

The “enjoyable” cable TV service, as described in the booklet, gives poor reception. After complaining about it, I was told that due to the location of Magnolia Apartments on campus, all of the television channels will have static. But is that supposed to be my problem? I paid for $560 worth of crisp, clear cable TV.

The computer lab in the complex is never open when they say it should be, and they claim to have a printer, but it’s supposedly always broken. One evening, I called the leasing office to check when the lab would be open and was told at 6 p.m.

After going down there at 6:45 p.m., the lab was closed, and instead of the staff opening it for me, I was told to wait until the person gets there to open the lab.

Not only is this type of service unacceptable, but it is also not the service promised to me as a paying student by Residence Services.

The bottom line is Magnolia Apartments are overpriced for the meager amenities.

It makes me wonder whether Magnolia Leasing or Residence Services is in the business of seeing students getting what they pay for or increasing the university’s bank account.

Shani Jefferson is a graduate student in the school of mass communications.

Administration lacks communication skills

This afternoon, President Judy Genshaft, Provost David Stamps, Executive Vice President Carl Carlucci and Board of Trustees Chair Dick Beard addressed faculty and staff members who made time to attend a meeting announced two days ago.

They spent 15 minutes telling us, among other things, they want to keep the lines of communication open and they believe in shared governance as a core value of the university.

Then, they left. Although President Genshaft said she would “answer questions” in the lobby, she refused to take any questions or comments from the audience that had gathered for the meeting in front of the camera that had broadcast her words to the rest of the university. You tell me: What’s the real message there?

Cheryl Hall is an associate professor in Department of Government and International Affairs.

Bucs coverage serves as break from news

I strongly disagree with the Jan. 15 editorial regarding the Bucs coverage being “over the top.” I know about the war on terrorism. What I don’t know is if Tampa will have another event in the near future to help us come together and enjoy something fun for a change.

“Tampa needs a reality check?” I had my reality check on Sept. 11, thanks. I know that life is precious, and I know that there are many important things in this world besides the Super Bowl. It’s just nice to discuss the two amazing touchdowns that Mike Alstott made in Sunday’s game as to discuss who we should be more scared of, North Korea or Iraq. Why should we be denied of the small pleasures in life? Isn’t it the little things that make people happiest?

The consistent coverage on the Bucs is not sending “a warped message” to Bay area residents “over what is really important in the grand scheme of the world.” We know what is important. We just want to be happy and forget all of that for a while. I am an avid Bucs fan, and I know that there is a chance that we won’t win on Sunday against the Eagles (but third time’s the charm). This week is a time for celebration for everyone in Tampa Bay.

In closing, I respect everyone’s opinion. I know there are important and scary things happening in the world right now. But sometimes people need a break from all that and just want to watch some football and have fun. Lighten up, and go Bucs.

Cristina Quintana is a junior majoring in English education.