The Week Ahead 12/5

Collegiate Collage

“Collage Part 2”
Opening reception: Friday, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Centre Gallery

The two-week group show will feature works from local artists. The collage exhibit brings together works that turn to different sources to create a unique image. The individual collages will be combined to form a larger collage.

Cheap Dates

Date Auction
Friday, 8 p.m.
Centre Gallery

Coinciding with the opening reception of “Collage Part 2,” the Centre Gallery presents an auction to raise funds for future exhibitions. Several volunteers, including all the gallery staff, will be auctioned off for dates. All the proceeds from the bids will go to help pay for receptions, increase award denominations and supplies. The goal is to raise$500.

Hillsborough Derby

Derby Day
Saturday, Registration, 9 a.m. — 10:30 a.m.
Race, 10:30 a.m.
Hillsborough River State Park

This free racing event is organized for people of all ages and abilities to participate. There will be several racing categories, which include running, walking, and wheelchair. There will be vendors, exhibitors and live music, which will add to the festival feeling of the event. Chapters of organizations such as the AMVETS, the Girl Scouts and Special Olympics have been invited to participate.

Radio Activity

The Next Big Thing 2
Sunday, all day
Coachman Park, Clearwater

Organized by 97X, the concert will feature 15 bands such as SR-71, Finch, Everclear, N.E.R.D. and Cypress Hill. Tickets are $20 for general admission and are available through Ticketmaster. First band goes on at 10:30.

Nature’s Blows

“Blown Away”
Sunday, 2:30 p.m.
Museum of Science and Industry

This interactive look into the impact of disasters on history will involve lectures by Eugene Provenzo and Sterie Baker Provenzo and Sherry Johnson. The program will center around the devastation caused by Hurricane Andrew as well as the natural disasters of the 18th century. It will also cover the political, economic and social changes that the colonies of Florida and Cuba underwent after the disasters. Following the lecture, the audience will be able to enter the MOSI Hurricane Chamber and experience the power of the devastating natural phenomena.

French Connection

Piaf: The Flight of the Little Sparrow
Ends Dec. 15
The Gorilla Theatre, 4419 Hubert Ave., Tampa

This is the world premiere of Aubrey Hampton’s musical biography of Edith Piaf, one of the most well-known and loved French singers of this century. The two-person show about the singer of the Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby era showcases the talents of Judy London as Edith Piaf with the accompaniment of Andrei Cheine on accordion and piano. Piaf talks about Edith as a street performer who made millions, a drug addict who managed to curb her habit and an adamant patriot who fought against the Germans in World War II. Prices vary depending on night.

Choral Arrangements

The Master Chorale and The Florida Orchestra
Friday, Dec. 13 through Monday, Dec. 16
Times and locations vary

The series of four concerts, entitled Many Moods of Christmas, will showcase the voices of the USF Master Chorale accompanied by The Florida Orchestra. The times and locations are as follows:
Friday, Mahaffey Theatre, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Special Events Center, 8 p.m.
Sunday, Ruth Eckerd Hall, 7:30 p.m.
Monday, Ruth Eckerd Hall, 7:30 p.m.