Letters to the Editor 11/18

Gun control argument doesn’t stand up

I have recently heard all the talk about how great the new film Bowling for Columbine is. Michael Moore’s new film suggests that guns need to be banned and that they are the root of violence in this country. I’d like to point out that violence has been a part of society since the beginning of time — long before the invention of the gun. I am convinced it is not the gun that is the problem, but the psychopath that guns down innocent people. The citizen who owns a gun for hobby or protection should not be blamed for America’s violence. They, not guns, are the real problem, but it is the people who use firearms irresponsibly and dangerously. People pull the trigger.

Let’s remember that the criminals will always find a way to deceive our good intentions, and so banning guns would not stop the violence in America. The right to bear arms in America is only second to our right of free speech, lets keep it that way!

Carmen Hamrick is a senior majoring in sociology

Animal rights group should be terminated

In 1995, Joe Howard passed away and the autopsy found that he died due to a lack of protein, the primary nutrient found in meat. Joe was my uncle, and happened to be a local promoter and organizer for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). My uncle was very active in this organization and learned about the supposed benefits of being a vegetarian from them. He was encouraged not to eat meat and live this unhealthy lifestyle. As a result, he is dead. I would just like to let you know that PETA killed my uncle and would like to point out the many reasons why this organization should be terminated.

First of all, PETA has recently hired Gary Yourofsky who has been linked to terrorism and acts of hate. Within the past few years, Yourofsky has been quoted in lectures as saying, “Do not be afraid to condone arsons at places of animal torture,” as well as stating, “If an animal abuser was killed in the process of burning down a research lab, I would support that too.” Now why would anyone in his or her right mind say something like that? He has been known to chain himself to cars and has been arrested at least 10 times. Other members of the PETA organization have admitted to donating money to other terrorist groups that claimed to have the same beliefs. PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich has also publicly condoned blowing up fast food outlets and banks that give money to support them. Therefore, PETA is against hurting animals, but they don’t seem to have any trouble hurting or even killing human beings.

In the past if people were declared insane they were sent to insane asylums and locked away. But not anymore. In today’s world, it seems as if all of the insane people are being sent to PETA. Some of the ideas and beliefs are flat out ridiculous. For example, the co-founder of PETA actually said that she wants foot and mouth disease to come to the United States and spread around like the common cold. Later this year, PETA activists are also planning on passing out Burger King crowns, depicting cows and pigs being slaughtered, to children. PETA has even gone as far as comparing the World Trade Center attacks to the slaughtering of chickens. Why would a sane person want to be associated with PETA and its people when all they do is come up with these crazy beliefs?

Even though PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the meaning should be changed to People Energized for Terrorizing America! Now that you know about my uncle and the many other things that PETA encourages, I want you all to stop supporting them immediately! If the support continues, so will the deaths and misleading lies. The minute everyone stops supporting PETA, they will be forced to shut down for good and stop all of this nonsense.

Amber Whirtley is a freshman majoring in psychology

Evolutionary theory has too many holes

This letter is to everyone who thinks that people who believe in the story of creation are still living in the Stone Age. Just to correct the gentleman who wrote the letter a few weeks ago about evolution and creation, evolution is not a proven scientific fact, that’s why they still call it the theory of evolution.

For one thing, there are a lot of gaps in the fossil records, and according to Phillip E. Johnson, author of the book, Darwin on Trial, they tend to support “the sudden appearance of nearly all the animal phyla … a phenomenon that points more towards creation than Darwinism.” The worst objection of all is the theory of evolution still gives no explanation to how the first living creature came to existence.

The theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of life as can the creation stories after all. It is missing the only criteria that would make it reliable: scientific facts.

Starline Mathurin is a sophomore majoring in journalism