Bulls win easily in exhibition

The University of South Florida men’s basketball team easily handled the Connecticut Stars 97-59 in an exhibition game Thursday night at the Sun Dome.

The Bulls were led by senior center Will McDonald, who posted a double-double with a game-high 27 points and 11 rebounds. All 10 Bulls who got in the game scored at least five points.

“It was nice to see a number of different guys get their feet wet,” Coach Seth Greenberg said.

“I think we played fairly hard, and I thought we were unselfish.”The most unselfish Bulls player was senior point guard Reggie Kohn, who dished out 11 assists in the game. The team combined for 28 assists.

The Bulls also put up good numbers in rebounds (58 total, 21 offensive) and field goal percentage (54 percent).

However, USF committed 20 turnovers and only managed to shoot 60 percent from the free-throw line.

“We played eight zillion guys and a zillion minutes, so the turnovers were about right, but I’m not happy,” Greenberg said. “We have three keys for our team. We want to rebound, we want to defend and we want to take care of the basketball. Those are the three areas we want to really concentrate on.”

One player Greenberg said had a particularly good game was guard Marlyn Bryant. Bryant scored 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting and grabbed eight rebounds.

“Obviously he’s improved shooting the ball, but the thing I’m most impressed with is the ability for (Bryant) to get loose balls,” Greenberg said. “He gets every 50-50 ball.”

The Bulls open the regular season Nov. 22 with a home game against Nova Southeastern.

Contact Adam Adkins at oraclesports@yahoo.com