Whose line comes to USF

For a mere $5 Friday evening, USF students can enter the Sun Dome and crack the greatest mystery in comedy today: just whose line is it, anyway? The list of suspects include Chip Esten, Brad Sherwood and Greg Proops, all of whom have appeared on both the British and American versions of the TV show.

Now hosted by Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway? is in its fourth season in the United States and has been playing in the United Kingdom for more than a decade. Guests on the show compete in various games. Ideas are drawn from the audience while the actors react to each other on the spot.

Proops is by far the most decorated Whose Line is it Anyway? veteran, having appeared in over 100 episodes to date.

Keri-Ann Dixon, chairwoman for Stampede at USF, said she had a chance to speak with Proops over the phone, and, aside from being funny, he seems like a nice guy.

“He’s really friendly,” Dixon said. “I’m looking forward to meeting him.”

Also performing Friday are Brad Sherwood and Chip Esten. Sherwood and Esten are both known for their singing abilities and winning good looks.

Dixon said that this year’s Stampede show stands out from past shows because of the improv edge brought by the Whose Line performers.

“I thought Whose Line was something different for USF,” she said. “It’s usually just stand-up comedy.”

Organizers haven’t yet decided on the exact format of Friday’s show, except to say that Proops, Sherwood and Esten will be showcasing their improv talents. Dixon said they will hold a rehearsal on Thursday during which they will determine whether or not to take audience suggestions at the Sun Dome. Also, two DJs from 93.3 WFLZ will host the show, but which two has not yet been released.

Dixon added that regardless of who shows up to host, the show is not to be missed.

“Stampede is known for their comedy acts and bringing high profile talent to USF,” she said. “(This year’s performers) are all really good guys. I’m expecting the best.”

Contact Dustin Dwyer at oraclefeatures@yahoo.com