Students prepare and support USF

Students can make sure they stay spirited through the entire Homecoming week by attending the last Homecoming event; Spirit Patio.

“The main goal of Spirit Patio is to hype everyone up and get everyone’s adrenaline pumping for the game,” said Keri-Ann Dixon, Sprit Patio committee chairwoman.

The event will begin when the doors of Raymond James Stadium open to the public at 5:30 p.m. By the time the football game against Memphis begins at 7 p.m., students will have had their chance to get adorned in USF colors. Still, the festivities at the Pirate Ship in the stadium will continue until halftime. Quick games where contestants win prizes such as beads, foam fingers and pom-poms will be set up. In “Lucky Ducks,” contestants pick a duck, and then win a prize which is indicated by the number printed on the bottom of the duck. There’s also a wheel spinner, where the game player wins a prize depending on where the wheel stops. In the end, everyone’s a winner.

“It will be like a mini-carnival,” Dixon said.

Additionally, stations will be set up that will include face-painting and spray-painting hair.

“We want the whole stadium to be covered in green and gold,” Dixon said.

The Homecoming Steering Committee is hosting the event, and members have been planning the event since the summer. Dixon said it’s a chance for students to take a break after midterms and have a good time.

“It’s a good way to support USF, support athletics, to relax and have fun,” Dixon said. “It’s a chance to see the spirit of USF.”

Other members of the community who attend the game can head to the Spirit Patio to get decorated in green and gold. In past years, children have especially enjoyed attending Spirit Patio, Dixon said.

“We’ll paint anyone who wants to be painted,” said Chris Lau, Spirit Patio committee member.

Contact Lousia Ogleat oracleeditor@yahoo.com